What You Need to Know Before Renovating a Bathroom in Vancouver
No matter which part of your home that you are renovating, the experience can be daunting and stressful. But, when it comes to bathroom renovations, that stress can often be amplified greatly. Getting the right balance between luxury, cost-effectiveness, and practical serenity can be tricky to juggle—a juggling act that is best left to professionals. There are several factors that homeowners have to take into consideration; these factors include:
- The amount of time the renovation process will take
- The cost to renovate the bathroom and the total budget
- Whether any permits will need to be acquired
- How extensive the renovation work will need to be
How Much Does It Cost to Renovate a Bathroom?
The average bathroom renovation cost in British Columbia estimated to be $10,277 according to Renomark. Despite only having a few kilometers between them, the average cost for Coquitlam, Burnaby, or Langley bathroom renovations is a low $8,947 whereas Vancouver, East Vancouver, West Vancouver, or North Vancouver bathroom renovations are considerably higher at an average of $11,607. The reason for this discrepancy is likely due to the higher cost to obtain a building permit in Vancouver vs Langley as well as adherence to the building bylaws and building codes—a necessary step to receive project sign off in the City of Vancouver.
How Much Should I Budget for a Bathroom Renovation in Vancouver?
When it comes to budget, the more you save, the better off you’ll be. That being said, homeowners would be wise to ensure that they keep an additional 15 to 20 percent ($1,500-$2,000) of the total budget kept to one side should an emergency occur. Of course, the total budget is also determined on the amount of work needed, some things to consider are:
- The age of your home. If it is an older home that hasn’t been updated since the 1970s, there may be asbestos hiding behind the walls. Asbestos has the potential to be very damaging to your health and needs to be removed by a specialist.
- The location of your pipes and plumbing. Ensuring that your bathroom is leak-free and your plumbing meets modern standards is an essential part of a Vancouver bathroom renovation.
- Ensuring that your electrical needs will be met. Electricity and wiring are often looked over by homeowners who are embarking on a washroom renovation. But, ensuring that your home is supplying adequate power to your bathroom for using hair dryers, curlers, and other power demands is a critical part of a functional bathroom design.
Whether you’re in Downtown, East Vancouver, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, or elsewhere in Greater Vancouver, get in touch with the home renovation experts at Etheridge Renovations to get the right answer to any of your questions. Read about: Kitchen Renovation Vancouver BC & Basement Renovations in Vancouver